Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Preparing for biopsy surgery

I had a wonderful week with my son, during his spring break.
Then I headed off to Atlanta to do Christmas buying for Topiaries.
Buying trips are fun and exhausting at the same time.  I got it all done, I just had to take naps during the day.  I feel it is very important to keep my future going.  I got back home last night. I also had lots of helping hands, you see I have been going there two times a year for 18 years so I have made some great friends.  Gary and Frank came up from South Carolina to help out, again.  Frank squeezed limes for me daily while Gary helped me spend money.  We had a blast.  Jackie made sure I had homemade soups everyday, and muffins, cuties and bananas, to take back to my hotel, and to the airport.  Awesome friends!!!!

Today, I had my meet and greet with the surgeon that will be doing my surgical biopsy next week.  When Carolyn and I got there the receptionist said we have you down for two weeks from now.  OMG!!  I have been off chemo for 6 weeks now, another 2 weeks to meet the doctor and then another week or two for surgery.  This means my biopsy wouldn't even get to Boston until the end of April.  REALLY!!

Most of you know I have run my own business for over 20 years.
If the scheduler had said you can meet the Doctor in April, my response would have been, I should fly to Boston and get it done quicker!  Back to today, I told the receptionist I may look healthy, but I have stage 4 lung cancer and I can't wait weeks!!!!!!!  I told her I am staying here until I talk to my oncologist.  She came back out to the waiting room and said they could squeeze me in.  We waited another two hours (he is the best in this area) and he came in and discussed the surgery.  He will cut a two inch opening, entering just above my breast and remove some cartilage and then cut off a peice of the tumor to send off to Boston for testing. Since lung cancer can mutate, they need a current sample.  After a trying day, I was sent for labs, 5 tubes of blood, EKG, x-ray, and the special of the day, a painful draw of blood from my artery.  Very long day to say the least.  My surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday.  I will be in the hospital 1 or 2 days.  At least the ball is starting to roll.  The Bug is not for SISSIES!!!

2 comments:

  1. Talk about a rough day! You stood your ground and got the attention you deserved. So proud of you. Hope you iced that arm like we discussed and you are sound asleep getting some much needed rest. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a tough day, but you have an amazing spirit. And like I told you, if this ever happens again, be prepared for me to embarrass you and lay down on the floor at the door until someone gives you THEIR appointment! You are awesome! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and well wishes, it means so much to me!